- Our County
- Mail Boxes
In accordance with the policy of the American Association of State Highway and Transportation Officials, the County Highway Department has no responsibility for fixing or replacing mailboxes that are damaged by County equipment in the performance of Road Maintenance/Winter Maintenance activities.
Mailboxes are permitted on public road right of ways using a standard mailbox installation. A copy of such may be obtained from the Highway Department office or by writing to 241 E. Chestnut Street, Chilton, WI 53014.
Mailbox policy during winter maintenance:
- When a mailbox is damaged during snow removal activities, the Calumet County Highway Department will repair or replace the mailbox if and only if it was actually hit by Calumet County equipment.
- If the snow coming off the plow or wing does the damage, there will be no repair or replacement by Calumet County.
- The Highway Superintendent that views the damaged mailbox will make the sole determination as to whether the damage was by Calumet County Highway Department equipment or by the snow.
- The Highway Superintendent will also decide if the mailbox will be repaired or replaced.
- The Superintendent's decision is final.
- Any replacement done by the Calumet County Highway Department will be with a standard metal mailbox. No allowance will be made for more decorative, costly mailboxes.
- No other reimbursement will be made.